God has blessed us with the opportunity to give someone a new start — in Canada. We are sponsoring Fihima, a 35 year old Somali widow and she will arrive sometime in September.
Great news! We have found a place for Fihima to live for her first three months here. This gives us an opportunity to assess, with her, where the best place is for the longer term.
Fihima speaks Somali and Arabic so will be part of our ESL program. Once she can speak English adequately, she will look for work, possibly cleaning offices or homes. (She has been a house cleaner.)
Fihima has two sons, 11 and 14, but their whereabouts are unknown.
Ways you can be part of her new start:
- donate your time to drive her to appointments, the grocery store, etc.
- donate money towards her first year’s expenses.
- spend time with her to help her learn English, Canadian culture, the transit system, where to find various stores, etc.
- provide something from the list below.
Please notify the church office, or email email@example.com, if you will be getting any of the items on the following list so we can remove that item and prevent duplicates. Once you have purchased these items, please leave them in the church office for the missions committee to pick up.
List of start-up items:
- Two pillows - dishtowels X 4
- Dishcloths X4 -small
- Medium saucepans -frypan
- Four glasses -mixing bowls X 2 -set of a few kitchen utensils (spatula, mixing spoon, etc) -can opener -electric kettle
- Cutting board
- Toiletries kit (shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, brush,soap)
We will update the list with furniture needs later—at this time we are not wanting any furniture.