Hi Parents and Kids,
I am thrilled to share with you an exciting opportunity we have to serve the seniors in our community! As I'm sure you know, visiting in senior's care facilities is being restricted. As of yesterday, there are no visitors at all allowed at Evergreen Baptist Campus of Care, and all activities led by visiting community groups have been cancelled. Soon they expect to have to serve meals in people's rooms rather than in the dining rooms. This means that those seniors who are without family or friends outside of their building, who depend on the social activities provided, are going to be increasingly lonely and isolated. Michelle Krahn, who works at Evergreen Heights, has come up with a great idea! She would like us to help her provide individual "care packages" for lonely seniors which she will make sure are delivered to the most needy residents. What a perfect opportunity to show the love of Jesus in a practical way to people who are craving connection!
Here are the details of when/where/how to make and deliver a care package if you'd like to participate. Children are encouraged to be creative and add their contributions as well! This could be a really fun family activity while everyone is stuck at home together!
What you could include:
- The most important thing is a personal note or card, with an encouraging message, and perhaps a photo of you and your family if you have one handy. You could include your phone number if you are comfortable being contacted. Please write in large print and dark letters for those who have visual impairment.
- Children can draw a picture, write a card, or make a craft such as a bookmark, beaded bracelet, painted rock, seashell art, hanging ornament, mosaic, wood carving, etc.
- Personal hygiene items such as small kleenex packs, hand lotion, shampoo, soap, lip balm.
- Tea bags, cookies, hard candies, or other small sweet or salty treats.
- A small potted plant, or plant kit (a pot, a little bag of soil, and seeds that can be planted), or a "chia pet" style plant kit
- Small puzzles, solo card games, large print crossword puzzles or word searches, a joke book.
- A helium balloon
- You may think of other items....if you're not sure it's appropriate, just email Jennifer Friesen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please put all items into a small or medium-sized gift bag for easy delivery.
What NOT to include:
- Gospel tracts or booklets. Evergreen residents are presented with the gospel and religious activities regularly, and those who are not believers get tired of it and some get quite offended to have it pushed on them. It is ok to mention Jesus' love for them, or to say you are praying for them, but this is not the time for in-depth witnessing. We will make it known that the gifts are from White Rock Baptist Church.
- Perishable items like fruit/vegetables/dairy
- Please do not spend more than $10 - $15 on items for one care package. Homemade items and new items you may have at home that you can give away are best. The point is not really the gift but the sense of care and connection.
When and where to drop it off:
- Since the feelings of isolation will worsen as time goes on and restrictions increase, please plan to deliver your package(s) on or after March 30th.
- Michelle will place a cart outside the main doors of Evergreen Heights (1501 Everall St) from 1 - 4 pm, Mon - Fri. Leave your packages on the cart and they will be delivered the following day.
I hope you will enjoy this fun activity! God bless you all, may you stay safe and healthy!
"Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers." Galatians 6:10
Lisa and Jennifer